Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Unfinished Ludology

I've just finished Final Fantasy XII. (Sephira, mutation, rebirth signified through vegetation, yadda yadda yadda). I've enjoyed it immensely, but here's the thing.

Know that feeling where you're nearing the end of a book you're really liking, and you find yourself rationing it, slowing your reading so it won't be over? Well, I had that in spades with Final Fantasy XII. But it's not until I was watching the ending that I realised that that feeling is different for games than it would be for a book or tv series.

Not Vaguely A Spoiler: In the final act of Final Fantasy XII - as is customary in a Squeenix adventure - all the game's Big Bads are just sitting up there in a big ol' Mana Fortress waiting for you to go kick their faces in, and you get the choice anytime whether to embark on the final showdown or just keep on adventuring about. And of course you could, theoretically, finish ALL the extra malarkey - the optional dungeons, completing the bestiary, hunting down all the marks, etc - before going to beat up the inevitable mutant angel-man. But you don't, because there gets a point where you go, this is silly, I'm just gonna see what this here North Cave is like, and then before you know it, bam!, The End.

Which is a fucking stupid choice of words. It's not the end. It's far from the end. There's still loads of Final Fantasy XII I haven't done. But then, there's also loads of Final Fantasy X I haven't done, and Metal Gear Solid 2, and Castlevania DS, for gosh sakes. But I know I won't be going back to those games for another big marathon, just as I doubt FFXII will keep me interested all the way to true completion, just as I'm putting off the (frankly, rather easy-looking) final finale of Phantom Hourglass for as many more secrets, piddling and expected, as I can.

I'm pretty sure I got everything I could in Secret of Mana and Link to the Past. I know I got absolutely fucking everything in Super Mario World. (On a rental, no less!) Hell, Terranigma was such a cunt that I got damn near everything even though I didn't manage to finish it (that savegame, of course, is now long gone).

There's interesting points to be made here on the overreliance on narrative within the RPG genre, the self-defeatist logic of making a game that's an absolute ludological revolution within its field and yet is narratively both less than compelling (or sense-making) and imposing of an artificial end on the proceedings.

But they are all overhadowed by the fact that Dan and I played through like a half dozen times and got every motherfucking thing you could in Goonies 2, which in a very real and palpable sense makes it the best narrative-hook game ever.

No comments: